Documenting surprising sightings, fascinating findings, & exciting encounters, with birds, wildlife, & other nature,
around Hemel Hempstead...

Explore & find out more about wildlife in this West Hertfordshire town. To return to the full homepage just click the banner above...

Sunday, 17 March 2013

SPARROWHAWK eating COLLARED DOVE alive after hunting & catching it at The Nickey Line, Highfield.


This afternoon I was taking a stroll along the Nickey  near Queensway in Highfield when behind me I heard a something crashing through the branches with a clatter of wings. As I turned around, just a few metres away a SPARROWHAWK was tumbling down the bank with a COLLARED DOVE in its talons until it settled at the bottom on the footpath with a firm grip on its prey. The Sparrowhawk then proceeded to pluck & eat the Collared Dove alive whilst I sat there watching from across the path, & although I didn't have a camera with me, I managed to get some video footage on my mobile phone.

At times the Collared Dove tried to fly free even after being eaten for at least 5 minutes & I will warn that this video may be distressing for some people to watch. These clips are just snippets of about 10 amazing minutes watching this stunning bird, at times within 2 metres from me, seemingly completely unfazed by my presence, until I decided to let the Sparrowhawk continue in peace.

[Filmed on Samsung Galaxy S3 Mobile Phone with digital zoom so apologies for the low quality.]




And here are some photos I snapped with my phone at the time too...

Sparrowhawk feeding on Collared Dove at The Nickey Line near Queensway, Highfield.
[Taken with Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phone on digital zoom.]

Sparrowhawk feeding on Collared Dove at The Nickey Line near Queensway, Highfield.
[Taken with Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phone on digital zoom.]





























4 comments:

  1. Cracking catch Dan!! Nature red in tooth and claw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martin, shame I didn't have even my compact camera on me but either way it was a privilege to witness & at such close range. One of those intimate moments with nature where there is a mutual respect & trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic sight to witness, Dan! It's quite something when a wild creature allows you to stand and observe it like that. Glad you had the technology to be able to share it with others too! (Lucy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely something I will never forget Lucy. Glad I had the means to record & share it too, I think it's great for non-birders & non-naturalists to see what amazing sights they can see so close to home, & hopefully this kind of thing can spark someones interest.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment for VELORAPTOR which will be viewable on this blog...